I. Each of the following sentences is given four choices of words or expressions. Choose the right one to complete the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on your Answer Sheet. (15 points, 1 point for each)
1 . The development of netnews has formed a(n) ______ challenge to traditional journalism transmitted by newspapers, broadcasting stations and televisions.
2.It is easy to ______a spear in the daylight, but it is difficult to avoid an arrow in the dark.
3. We were annoyed by his ______ reply, for we had been led to expect definite assurances of his approval.
A . nonsense
4. The patient has the right to considerate and ______care.
5 . Rosie's wonderful world came to a(n) ______ end when her parents' marriage broke up.
6 . His evidence was a blend of smears, half truths and ______ lies.
7. His report was attacked as a gross______ of the truth.
8 . His success is a classic case of thrifty and ______businessmen.
C . tricky
9 . He interpreted her condemnation of recent political development as an______ criticism of the govemment.
10. When someone is angry because they recognize an abuse being committed to another person, that is ______ anger.
11. Many large companies seem totally _________ about the environment.
12. You'll never finish the job if you ____________over details.
13 .Instructors should ______ new movements before letting the class try them.
14. It is very unpleasant to have to_______ the smoke from other people's cigarettes.
15. The government has ______ its refusal to compromise with terrorists.